February 15, 2013 · 4:10 pm
“Snow Day Spirit” West Chester | By John Hannafin
Looking to get out of the house this weekend? Well, check out some of these local events happening around the West Chester area:
Murder Mystery Theater: Lucy, I’m Dead
- When: Saturday, Feb 16 at 6 pm
- Where: Unitarian Fellowship of West Chester501 S High St, West Chester
- Why Go: Unitarian Congregation of West Chester presents“Lucy, I’m Dead.” Tickets include wine, hors d’oeuvres, finger food, chocolate desserts and the show, performed by Without a Cue Productions. (Adult content 15 years or older.) This event is opened to the public but seating is limited. You must reserve your seat by e-mailing Marie Steel at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 610-692-5966. Cash or check will be accepted at the door. Go to www.ucwc.org for general information.
- Cost: $35
Play4Kay – Pink Basketball Games
- When: Saturday, Feb 16 at 1 pm
- Where:West Chester University 700 S High St, West Chester,
- Why Go:The PINK ZONE is now called Play for Kay. This is a national event. Women play at 1 pm and Men at 3 pm. Join in the fight against breast cancer and support the WCU basketball teams.
- Cost: $6 for adults and $4 for youth
Family Day at CCHS
- When: Monday, Feb 18 from 10 am – 1 pm
- Where:Chester County Historical Society
- Why Go: Enjoy old-fashioned family fun with crafts, toys, dress up and story telling. At 11am, meet children’s author Jen Bryant, author of A Splash of Red, The Life and Art of Horace Pippin. All museum exhibits and The History Lab will be open. Call 610-692-4800 for details.
- Cost: $10.00 per family.
Backyard Bird Count
- When: Saturday, Feb 16 from 9:30 – 11 a.m.
- Where:Great Valley Nature Center State Rd & Hollow Rd, Phoenixville
- Why Go:Come to GVNC to participate in a real Bird Count..we will teach you how! We’ll start with the basics of bird identification, go on a bird walk, and then we’ll enter the info in the GVVC data base.
- Cost: Free
Filed under Blogs
Tagged as activities, Area, Arts and Entertainment, Chester, chester county, Chester County Pennsylvania, Downtown, events, happenings, local, pennsylvania, Saturday, visit, WCU, weekend, west chester, West Chester Pennsylvania, West Chester University of Pennsylvania, Western world
December 28, 2012 · 5:06 pm
West Chester Dish has an awesome guide to everything happening in the West Chester area this New Year’s Eve. Check out some of the many events below and head over to http://www.WestChesterDish.com to see more!
Avalon will be serving a European Style Menu with multiple courses of smaller portions. The first seating is from 5:30-7:30 pm ($70 per person) and includes dinner and complimentary champagne. The second seating starts at 9:00 pm ($80 per person) and includes dinner, champagne toast at midnight and live entertainment from Steve Laret. Reservations required.
- Barnabys: 15 S. High St., West Chester, 610-696-1400
On New Year’s Eve, kids eat free from 4 to 7 p.m. The downstairs is open with regular specials and a champagne toast at midnight. Upstairs, it’s Steak’s Annual New Year’s Eve Party. Tickets are $60 per person ($110 per couple), including a buffet, DJ, open bar from 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., and a champagne toast at midnight.
Bull Durham’s has two packages available-one with dinner and acoustic music by Johny Turk from 5 to 8 p.m. If you want to enjoy a two-course dinner with champagne and head home to celebrate ($29.95 per person). Package B begins at 8 p.m. with dinner, open bar and live music by the Mandells from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. ($49.95 per person). Reservations are required by emailing email@example.com.
- Kooma: 151 W Gay St, West Chester, 610-430-8980
A $10 cover gets you a champagne toast with appetizers, featuring lots of tempting items like edamame, dumplings, spring rolls and more. You’ll also have access to $5 Stoli punches and $3 Heinekens, Coronas and Amstel Lites. A DJ will be spinning all night. Specials are from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Mas: 102 E. Market St., West Chester, 610-918-6280
Ole! A DJ will be playing from 8 p.m. to midnight. All you can eat and drink for $49.99 per person, or receive a couples discount (buy one, get one half-off). Every hour on the hour, starting at 8 p.m., they will raffle off prizes. A champagne toast is offered at midnight.
Ring in 2012 with local favorite Hoots & Hellmouth at their second annual New Year’s Eve party with Mason Porter. Hoots & Hellmouth creates new music for old souls. Their second full-length effort, “The Holy Open Secret,” continues to blaze a trail in the name of progressive revival. Tickets are $20 in advance and $22 day of show. The show is for 21 and older only. Drinks and food are available a la carte.
Filed under Events
Tagged as 12-hour clock, 2013, Bull Durham, chester county, Disc jockey, Downtown, events, Hoots & Hellmouth, local, New Year, New Year's Eve, new years, pa, pennsylvania, west chester, Western world
October 18, 2012 · 4:16 pm
Kick back and enjoy Friday with these local events happening around West Chester tomorrow!
Chester County and The Civil War at CCHS: Experience the hopes, struggles, victories and losses of local men and women who lived during our nation’s bloodiest war at On The Edge of Battle: Chester County and The Civil War, a new exhibit at the Chester County Historical Society. The event is taking place tomorrow all-day and ongoing through 2013.
KALY Clothing (37 West Gay Street, 610-436-8272) presents a cash only inventory sale with discounts from 60-percent to 75-percent off original price. Some items may be as high as 80-percent off. Prices range from $10-$60.
The Ghost Tours of West Chester: A walking tour with tales of ghosts, folklore and history. Your guide will lead you on a 90-minute walk through the spooky lanes of downtown neighborhoods where you’ll explore the land of the shadow people, learn of lost souls of the Underground Railroad, and hear about the West Chester gallows where horse thieves and murderers were hanged. New stories and tours added for the season. The Ghost Tours of West Chester occur every Friday & Saturday night in October and start at The Lincoln Room (28 West Market, 610-696-2102). Tours begin at 8:00 pm and doors open at 7:00 pm rain or shine. Courtyard Grill will be open for light sandwiches, snacks and beverages before the tours.
August 27, 2012 · 5:24 pm
Next week, (September 6th) Swingin’ Summer Thursday returns for the final event of the year! It is an evening of live music on the streets of Downtown West Chester. It is held the first Thursday in
June, July, August, and September. Each Swingin’ Summer Thursday has a musical genre theme and two bands are selected to perform. Local food vendors, information booths, and local artisan booths are spread out among two blocks. The September event will take place on Gay Street, between High & Matlack, with Rock tunes provided by Dirk Quinn Band, and the Funk sounds of Wave Radio. For more information contact the sponsors: West Chester BID and the Borough of West Chester’s Parks and Recreation Dept.
Filed under Blogs
Tagged as 2012, activities, Area, Arts and Entertainment, Chester, chester county, Chester County Pennsylvania, Downtown, Downtown West Chester, Dowtown West Chester, events, Gay Street, Parks and Recreation, pennsylvania, Rock, september, Thursday, west chester, West Chester Pennsylvania, Western world
October 19, 2011 · 4:21 pm
The Ghost Tours of West Chester is a walking tour with tales of ghosts, folklore and history. Your guide will lead you on a 90-minute walk through the spooky lanes of downtown neighborhoods where you’ll explore the land of the shadow people, learn of lost souls of the Underground Railroad, and hear about the West Chester gallows where horse thieves and murderers were hanged. New stories and tours added for the season.
The Ghost Tours of West Chester occur every Friday & Saturday night in October and start at The Lincoln Room (28 West Market, 610-696-2102). Tours begin at 8:00 pm and doors open at 7:00 pm rain or shine. Courtyard Grill will be open for light sandwiches, snacks and beverages before the tours. Price is $10 per person ages 5 years and up. Reservations required; call 610-696-2102.
Filed under Blogs, Events
Tagged as 2011, activities, Area, Arts and Entertainment, Chester, chester county, Chester County Pennsylvania, ghost tours, Ghost Tours of West Chester, Horse thief, kimberley vassal insurance, Lincoln Bedroom, Lincoln Room, mywestchester, mywestchesterpatown.com, pennsylvania, Underground Railroad, west chester, West Chester Pennsylvania, Western world