Tonight, grab the girls and head downtown to visit the many shops that are staying open until 8 p.m. and offering refreshments, discounts and holiday cheer! Finish your Christmas shopping or just treat yourself to something special! Some of the stores staying open late include: The 5 Senses, Main Line Custom Mens, Penwick, Kaly, Malena’s, and many more. For more information visit http://www.downtownwestchester.com.
Filed under Blogs, Events
Wondering where to park in Downtown West Chester this holiday season? The video below is a very useful and helpful guide to parking in the Borough. Also, remember to shop local this holiday season to support our community. West Chester offers more than 75 retail shops and boutiques offering a diverse and unique shopping experience for everyone. For a complete retail directory visit www.downtownwestchester.com.
All aboard Santa’s Express! This Sunday (December 22, 2013) join Santa for a 90 minute journey through the Chester Creek Valley. Santa will be greeting everyone at Market Street Station and then going along for the ride to Glen Mills. Once at Glen Mills passengers can disembark and explore the historic station. There are plenty of photo opportunities on Santa’s lap inside the station; so don’t forget your cameras! Upon return to West Chester, all passengers receive treats from Santa! Passengers will also enjoy the live music of Greg Wright and friends singing all of your favorite Christmas songs. For ticket information visit www.westchesterrr.com or click here.
Downtown is decked out with Christmas garland and a fabulous Christmas Tree, thanks to the Greater West Chester Chamber of Commerce and their volunteers, all adding to the joy of the season. Enjoy shopping at downtown boutiques, dining at award winning restaurants, while strolling carolers entertain on weekends. Also, make sure to see Santa’s schedule around the West Chester area and don’t miss all the continued Old-Fashioned Christmas events and performances! For more information on all the holiday events visit http://www.downtownwestchester.com.
The deadline for the first annual Uptown! Entertainment Alliance (UEA) Songwriting Contest is nearing on Janaury 31, 2013. The contest will award five finalists the opportunity to perform a live show at The Note, a popular music venue in downtown West Chester.
“It’s your chance to have your original work seen by high-profile music industry professionals,” according to UEA promotional materials. The Grand Prize winner gets a $500 cash prize, six hours of studio time at Tribesound Productions, a headline performance at the UEA’s Red Carpet Gala on April 20, 2013, and a 2-hour mentoring session with Jonathan Orose. Remember deadline for submissions is January 31, 2013. Click here for submission instructions.
Kimberley Vassal Insurance Services, located in Chadds Ford, produces these awesome beer review video’s every other month. This month the beer snob, Bill Jeppe, reviews two Christmas themed beers; Rogue’ Santa’s Private Reserve Ale and Goose Island’ Christmas Ale. Both beers are perfect for the holiday season! For a free local Business, Auto, Home, or Life insurance quote visit http://www.kimberleyvassal.com, Enjoy the review!
Some local Holiday events happening this weekend in and around the West Chester area! Hope to see you out and about, they’re calling for beautiful weather all weekend!
Old Fashioned Christmas
- When: Friday, Nov. 30 – Sunday, Dec. 2
- Where: Downtown West Chester
- Why Go: Enjoy a truly magical weekend in West Chester. Friday it kicks off with the the Jingle Elf run, the parade, the tree lighting, carolers and other special activities. Saturday enjoy theater, train rides, kids activities and more. Sunday there are several concerts and more activities. For a complete schedule,please visit their website.
- Cost: Free *Some activities have a cost.
- When: Friday, Nov. 30 at 7:15 p.m.
- Where: Downtown West Chester
- Why Go: This parade is celebrating it’s 34th year and it’s been listed in USA Today as one of the top ten places to experience the arrival of Santa Claus during the holiday season. The 1-mile parade route travels through the heart of the historic business district. Participating marching bands compete for the chance to win a portion of more than $5,000 in prize money. Stop by Mars Drinks tent and receive a free cup of hot chocolate.
- Cost: Free
Jingle Elf Run
- When: Friday, Nov. 30 from 5:30 – 7:15 p.m.
- Where: First Niagara Bank, 16 E. Market St.
- Why Go: The parade starts before the parade and follows the parade route. There are race opportunities for the kids and adults, great holiday prizes to age group winners and cash prize for the top 3 males and females in the 2 mile race. There will also be costume awards for the most creative holiday outfits.
- Cost: $12 – $20
The Mousetrap at WCU
- When: Thursday, Nov. 29 – Sunday, Dec. 2
- Where: West Chester University, E.O. Bull Center MainStage Theatre
- Why Go: Enjoy the classic Agatha Christie mystery on stage at West Chester University. A group of strangers are trapped together at a manor house during a snowstorm where they soon discover one of them is a murderer! Currently in its 60th year in London, The Mousetrap will have you gripping the edge of your seat. Thursday, Nov. 29 at 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 3 at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1 at 2 and 8 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2 at 2 p.m.
- Cost: $10 – $12
Breakfast with Santa
- When: Saturday, Dec. 1 at 8:30 a.m and 10 a.m.
- Where: Chester County Historical Society, 225 North High Street
- Why Go: Enjoy a buffet breakfast while children get the chance to sit with Santa and share their Christmas wish lists. Seatings at 8:30am and 10:00am. Must preregister. Only 75 seats available per seating. Call the West Chester Borough Parks & Recreation at 610-436-9010 to registration.
- Cost: $12 per person ages 2+
Gingerbread House Making
- When: Saturday, Dec. 1 from 2 – 4 p.m.
- Where: West Chester Municipal Building, 401 East Gay Street
- Why Go: Children will assemble and decorate gingerbread houses with an assortment of holiday candies. All materials are supplied. Register early by calling 610-436-9010. Only 30 spots available.
- Cost: $12
35th Annual Brian’s Run
- When: Sunday, Dec. 2 at 1 p.m.
- Where: Henderson High School
- Why Go: The 35th Annual Brian’s Run is a five-mile loop and kid fun races through northeast West Chester. All proceeds from the reace go to support “Homes for Our Troops“, a charity that supports our wounded verterancs, making their homes handicap accessible.
- Cost: $30 day of race
- When: Saturday, Dec. 1 at 6 p.m.
- Where: Chester County Historical Society
- Why Go: In this adaptation of Charles Dickens’ classic tale, the ensemble will portray all the characters of this Christmas tradition. They will also offer songs as the Spirits of Past, Present and Future confront the miserly Ebenezer Scrooge. Running about an hour, this is a perfect production for families. Afterwards, join the Pennsylvania Academy of Performing Arts singers for a candlelight caroling walk to the Historic Chester County Courthouse.
- Cost: Free *Donations accepted
- Events Coming in December (mywestchesterpatown.com)
- Old-Fashioned Christmas Weekend! (mywestchesterpatown.com)
- West Chester Railroad (mywestchesterpatown.com)