It was a news filled weekend not to mention the first snow storm of season hitting Chester County and West Chester especially! Incase you missed the news while shoveling your sidewalk or driveway here are some important stories to catch up on for today!
1. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords’ resignation prompts the question: Who will replace her? The race to replace the Arizona congresswoman begins in earnest Monday.
2. Giants to face Patriots in Super Bowl sequel. Is it 2008 all over again? New York hopes it will be, but New England will seek vindication for their surprising loss four years ago.
3. State funding declines for higher education. Total state support declined in 41 states last year meaning larger class sizes and fewer course offerings at many universities.
4. Obama will present his plans for the year in Tuesday’s State of the Union. But many of the promises he outlined in previous addresses remain unfulfilled as they fell victim to congressional opposition or faded in face of other priorities.
5. A new period of mourning starts for Penn State. Just two months after his dismissal as their head football coach, the community
6. Damascus rejects a new plan aimed at ending the country’s 10-month crisis. Syria’s state-run news agency quotes an unnamed official as saying Syria considers the plan “a violation of its sovereignty and flagrant interference in its internal affairs.”
7. The tax season is upon all of us, even the unemployed. Millions of people are still out of work, but they may be surprised to learn they have to pay taxes on their unemployment benefits.
8. Even non-addicts are affected by methamphetamine epidemic. An AP survey shows that up to a third of patients in some burn units of active meth states were hurt while making meth, and most were uninsured.
9. BlackBerry maker co-CEOs step down. Research in Motion’s co-CEOs Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis will be replaced by Chief Operating Officer Thorsten Heins.
10. Seal and Heidi Klum call it quits. “While we have enjoyed seven very loving, loyal and happy years of marriage, after much soul searching we have decided to separate,” the power couple says.