A major highway expansion project will begin today on Route 202, according to a recent press release from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. The work is scheduled to wrap up in May 2016. For more information on the project click here.
PennDOT plans to:
- widening Route 202 from four to six lanes
- rebuild and improve the Route 202/Route 401 Interchange
- reconstruct bridges over Route 401 and Planebrook Road
- replace the bridge over Chester Valley Trail
- erect three miles of sound walls
- build a 32-space park-and-ride facility at the intersection of Route 322 and Lloyd Avenue in Caln Township
- install Intelligent Transportation System components
- plant landscaping
- build storm water management and mitigation sites
Just a reminder that the Chester County Historical Society will be hosting an event for families this Presidents’ day! Come out and enjoy some old-fashioned family fun with crafts, toys, dress up and story telling with Family Day from 10am-1pm at the Chester County Historical Society, High & Chestnut Streets. At 11am, meet children’s author Jen Bryant, author of A Splash of Red, The Life and Art of Horace Pippin. All museum exhibits and The History Lab will be open. $10.00 per family. Call 610-692-4800 for details. For more information on the event click here or visit http://www.downtownwestchester.com
Image by Jim, the Photographer via Flickr
ife at the Occupy Philadelphia encampment continued unabated Monday – although on a much smaller scale – despite the passing of Mayor Nutter’s deadline for the protesters to evacuate the plaza in front of City Hall more than 24 hours earlier. The protesters had been told to leave by 5 p.m. Sunday so construction could begin on a $50 million renovation of Dilworth Plaza, real estate the Occupy movement has turned into a tent city of political activism. The city, after negotiating with segments of protesters, issued a permit that allows them to demonstrate across the street at Thomas Paine Plaza from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. but prohibits overnight camping. That permit went into effect Monday, but few appeared to avail themselves of the opportunity to protest there.
“Our point simply is that people out on Dilworth Plaza are on a work site, they do not have a permit,” said Mark McDonald, a spokesman for Mayor Nutter. “They need to pack up and leave.” About 75 tents remained on the plaza Monday, down from about 300 at the height of the protest. City sanitation workers moved throughout the plaza, removing trash and debris. Police remained in force at the edges of the plaza throughout the day, at times interacting with the occupiers as they served meals and pounded out rhythms in a drum circle. McDonald said he could not comment on when or if police would forcibly evacuate Dilworth, but said protesters would be given a final warning before arrests were made. For more information check out the full article posted by Yahoo.com here.