March 12, 2014 · 2:38 pm
There are a number of new development projects slated for West Chester in the upcoming years. See a list of the different projects below, visit Downtownwestchester.com for more information.
- Chestnut Lofts Chestnut Street Lofts: New construction of 60 residential units with parking at 114 East Chestnut Street. The projected completion and occupancy is summer 2014.
Concept Design for Chestnut Street Lofts
- Theater Development: The Uptown! Theater Alliance has launched a capital campaign for a $3.75-million redevelopment of the old Armory (Washington and High Streets) into a theater. Concept rendering by Frens and Frens.
- 124 East Market Street: Known as 124 Market Place, this project has broken ground and will include retail on the ground floor and 88 residential units. The current projection for completion is early 2015.
- 220 East Chestnut: The project, located at Chestnut & Matlack Streets, includes 205 residential units. The building permit for the project is expected to be issued in the next 60 days and the construction is expected to be complete by spring 2016.
- Proposed Hotel: A 120-room, full-service DoubleTree hotel has been proposed for the corner of Gay & Walnut Streets. In December, 2013, Borough Council denied final approval. It is now in appeal.
Concept Design for 124 East Market Street
- Mosteller Mixed Use Development: Currently, the owners have conditional use and land development plan approval to construct a new mixed-use building at the old site of the old Mosteller Department Store at the corner of Gay & Church Streets. The project is to include retail on the ground floor, basement parking, offices on floors 2-3 and residential condos on floors 4-7. Construction date has not been set.
- Outdoor Pool Renovation: The Charles A. Melton Community & Arts Center has recently completed a sustainability report for the renovation of the outdoor swimming pool. Fund raising efforts are underway. Concept rendering by Friday Architects.
Filed under Blogs
Tagged as activities, Area, Business, chester county, Chester County Pennsylvania, Counties, Downtown West Chester, Dowtown West Chester, Gay Street, pennsylvania, Shopping, west chester, West Chester Pennsylvania
February 27, 2014 · 2:41 pm
For the first time, National History Day will be hosted in West Chester at the Chester County Historical Society. Over 2,000 sixth through twelfth grade students and their families will arrive from Chester and Delaware counties to be judged on their original research on the theme Rights and Responsibilities. Successful presentors move on to regional and national competitions. See West Chester’s National History Day welcome page for further information. The event is proudly sponsored by the West Chester Business Improvement District which believes student interpretation of our rights and responsibilities will lead to a better understanding of our place in history.
Filed under Events
Tagged as activities, chester county, Chester County Historical Society, Chester County Pennsylvania, Dowtown West Chester, education, National History Day, pennsylvania, school, West Chester Business Improvement District, West Chester Pennsylvania
February 25, 2014 · 5:01 pm
Beginning March 7th, First Friday in Downtown West Chester is back! Get together with your friends and come downtown to see what’s new and what’s cool. Shops and boutiques are open late and will be showing off thier newest Spring fashions and giftware. Browse the in-store specials while enjoying refreshments. See some of the participating shops on Facebook or see the complete retail directory by visiting http://www.downtownwestchester.com!
February 24, 2014 · 3:16 pm
Now on exhibit at the Brandywine Conservancy and Museum of Art, N.C. Wyeth’s America in the Making features 12 dramatic paintings, created by the artist in the late 1930s for a popular advertising calendar, and shows Wyeth’s renowned mastery of stirring action and uthentic detail. Props from the artist’s Chadds Ford studio, such as a life mask of Abraham Lincoln, a coonskin cap and a Kentucky rifle, will provide fascinating insight into how Wyeth created these paintings. For more information visit www.brandywinemuseum.org or click here.
Filed under Blogs, Events
Tagged as Brandywine Conservancy and Museum of Art, Brandywine River Museum, Chadds Ford, chester county, Chester County Pennsylvania, Dowtown West Chester, N.C. Wyeth, pa, pennsylvania, West Chester Pennsylvania
February 20, 2014 · 3:13 pm
Have you ever dreamed of tasting your way through Carlino’s Market in West Chester after hours? Well, your dream will come true at Carlino’s Premier Spring Preview Party on Friday, March 14, 2014. Be the first to taste and experience our new Spring selection. Our chefs will unveil new, never before seen, mouthwatering creations for you to savor and enjoy.
What’s a party without great beer, wine and cocktails? The Cheese School at Carlino’s will feature a selection of world class, local beers paired with our fabulous artisan cheeses. Carlino’s elite Pastry Chefs will pair our homemade, decadent pastries with fantastic local wines. And our resident Mixologist will be crafting signature cocktails to pair with our gourmet charcuterie and antipasti. Join the premier VIP tasting event of the season and taste all that is Carlino’s. Tickets for the event are available now by visiting www.carlinosmarket.com or by clicking here.
Filed under Events
Tagged as Arts and Entertainment, Carlino's Market, chester county, Chester County Pennsylvania, Downtown, Dowtown West Chester, kimberley vassal insurance, pennsylvania, Spring Preview, VIP, West Chester Pennsylvania
February 19, 2014 · 5:31 pm
The Chester County Art Association (CCAA) kicks-off their Capital Campaign Fund Drive to support major renovations at CCAA with a tribute to the legendary Buena Vista Social Club by renowned Cuban musician Pepito Gomez presenting a night of music and dance. The event is scheduled for tonight, February 19, from 7-10pm at Teca. See ticket information and details at ChesterCountyArts.org.
February 17, 2014 · 8:12 pm
Today, bring the kids for old fashioned family fun at the Chester County Historical Society (High & Chestnut Sts) with crafts, toys, dress up and story telling from 10am to 1pm. At 11am see Noah Lewis, a Revolutionary War Re-enactor, portray Ned Hector, a hero at the Battle of the Brandywine. All museum exhibits and the History Lab will be open. Admission is $10 flat rate per person or family and free for members. The event benefits the New Horizons History Education Scholarship Fund. For more information visit www.chestercohistorical.org.
February 7, 2014 · 4:00 pm
More than 400,000 people in the region still are without power, and many will remain without power through the weekend. As of 1:00PM Thursday, about 410,000 customers were without power, PECO said, down from a high of more than 623,000 Wednesday evening.
In a notice to customers on its website, PECO wrote that it hoped to restore power to a majority of its customers by Friday night, but warned that many will be without power through Sunday. PECO has brought in outside contractors, it said, and more than 3,500 people are working to restore service. You can report an outage to PECO by calling 1-800-841-4141.
If you are still without power there are a number of shelters across the Chester County area. Also, the Brandywine River Museum is offering free admission for the entire day stating, “Heat is on and the art is inspiring!”
Filed under Blogs
Tagged as Area, Brandywine River Museum, chester county, Chester County Pennsylvania, Dowtown West Chester, Friday, no electric, no lights, peco, pennsylvania, shelters, snow storm, West Chester Pennsylvania, West Chester University
February 6, 2014 · 4:34 pm
Looking for something fun to do this Friday? Escape the cold weather by attending one of the many indoor events in Downtown West Chester tomorrow!
- Artists’ Reception at The Art Trust Gallery: Warm up with awesome art (and a glass of wine) at the The Art Trust Gallery Artists’ Reception (16 W Market St) starting at 5pm. Featured exhibit is All Aboard profiling the work of Art Trust board members including John Baker, Ellie Byrom-Haley, Diane Cirafesi, Jeff Schaller, Lisa Strode and Emily Wilkins. Open to the public. Free refreshments. Exhibit continues through February 21.
- Gilbert & Sullivan’s ‘Patience’ at WCU: Young ladies, rapturously caught up in the fads of today, pine after two free-spirited poets, both of whom are in love with Patience, a simple girl who cares nothing for poetry or fads. In a modern adaptation of Gilbert & Sullivan’s splendid musical comedy, Patience learns the true meaning of love, military suitors try to win the hearts of young ladies, and everyone ends with a suitable partner even if only a tulip or a lily. Stage direction by Daniel K. Williams and music direction by Florrie Marks. At theMadeleine Wing Adler Theatre, Swope Music Building, West Chester University. See ticket information.
- Planetarium Show at WCU: West Chester University Department of Geology & Astronomy presents Andromeda: Our Galaxy Neighbor at the University Planetarium, Schmucker Science Center, located on South Church Street between University Avenue and Rosedale Avenue. Show starts at 7pm and runs approximately 1-hour. Reservations required. Call the ticket office at 610-436-2266. See more information at WCU Public Planetarium Shows.
Filed under Events
Tagged as 2014, activities, Art Trust Gallery, Arts, Arts and Entertainment, chester county, Chester County Pennsylvania, Dowtown West Chester, kimberley vassal insurance, pennsylvania, WCU, West Chester Pennsylvania, West Chester University, West Chester University of Pennsylvania
January 23, 2014 · 4:05 pm
Join Avante Salon & Spa on January 31st for Ladies Night to indulge in select complimentary services like hair trend demos and chair massages. There will be light fair, cocktails, raffles and giveaways! The special event is a perfect way to end the work week. The event goes from 6:00-9:00 p.m. Please RSVP by calling (610) 429-1800. For more information visit www.avantesalon.com or click here.
Filed under Events
Tagged as Avante Salon, Avante Salon and Spa, chester county, Chester County Pennsylvania, Downtown West Chester, Dowtown West Chester, Friday, Ladies Night, local, pennsylvania, visit west chester, West Chester Pennsylvania