The 39th annual Unionville High School Art Gala will showcase local celebrated working artists, UHS alumni and current UHS Students along with live music and fabulous food. The Art Gala is a highly regarded event that raises money for educational projects and programs. Thirty percent of all artist sales go to support educational programs and projects at Unionville High School. The Art Gala will begin on Friday, November 7th from 3pm – 9pm and continue Saturday, November 8th from 10 am – 3pm; The much anticipated silent auction begins Friday and ends Saturday at 2pm sharp! For updates and further information make sure to follow the event page on Facebook.
West Chester Friends School prepares boys and girls in preschool through 5th grade for lives of caring leadership. On September 19, 2014 they’ll be hosting an open house with guided tours starting at 12:30 pm and hosting an International Day of Peace celebration beginning at 2 pm. All are welcome as the school comes together for songs, poetry, the planting of their peace tree, and celebration activities. For more information on the event click here.
The Chester County Commissioners have unveiled a new mobile app for the county called ChescoCONNECT, available in the Apple App Store, Google Play Store, and downloadable for mobile devices at NO COST. The app features 16 functionalities that represent a combination of some of the county’s most frequently visited website pages, and overall general information of interest to Chester County citizens. See what the app includes below and visit www.westchesterdish.com for more information!
- county news
- calendar of meetings and events
- parks and trails
- health clinic calendars and information
- courts information
- emergency alerts through ReadyNotify PA
- a directory of social services
- land use planning
- links to Chester County’s social media communication and YouTube channel
- details and locations of all Chester County government department offices
- jobs available with the County
- restaurant inspection reports for all food handling operations in Chester County
- seasonal functions (election results and flu clinics information)
There are a number of new development projects slated for West Chester in the upcoming years. See a list of the different projects below, visit Downtownwestchester.com for more information.
- Chestnut Lofts Chestnut Street Lofts: New construction of 60 residential units with parking at 114 East Chestnut Street. The projected completion and occupancy is summer 2014.
Concept Design for Chestnut Street Lofts
- Theater Development: The Uptown! Theater Alliance has launched a capital campaign for a $3.75-million redevelopment of the old Armory (Washington and High Streets) into a theater. Concept rendering by Frens and Frens.
- 124 East Market Street: Known as 124 Market Place, this project has broken ground and will include retail on the ground floor and 88 residential units. The current projection for completion is early 2015.
- 220 East Chestnut: The project, located at Chestnut & Matlack Streets, includes 205 residential units. The building permit for the project is expected to be issued in the next 60 days and the construction is expected to be complete by spring 2016.
- Proposed Hotel: A 120-room, full-service DoubleTree hotel has been proposed for the corner of Gay & Walnut Streets. In December, 2013, Borough Council denied final approval. It is now in appeal.
Concept Design for 124 East Market Street
- Mosteller Mixed Use Development: Currently, the owners have conditional use and land development plan approval to construct a new mixed-use building at the old site of the old Mosteller Department Store at the corner of Gay & Church Streets. The project is to include retail on the ground floor, basement parking, offices on floors 2-3 and residential condos on floors 4-7. Construction date has not been set.
- Outdoor Pool Renovation: The Charles A. Melton Community & Arts Center has recently completed a sustainability report for the renovation of the outdoor swimming pool. Fund raising efforts are underway. Concept rendering by Friday Architects.
It’s a charity gala that feels more like a party! The 2014 West Chester Bartenders Ball will be held on Sunday, January 26th from 7pm-12am at the Chester County Historical Society (High & Chestnut Streets with free parking at the Chestnut Street Garage), attendees will be treated to a five-hour premium open bar and food service plus live music by some of the area’s premier entertainers. Tickets can be purchased in advance at WCBartendersBall.com for $50, or at the door on the night of the event for $60. You must be at least 21 to attend. Beneficiaries include the West Chester Fire Department, West Chester Food Cupboard, YMCA P.A.L. and the Chester County Hero Fund. For more information on the event visit http://www.WCBartendersBall.com.
On Thursday, December 12th, The Galer Estate is hosting a pop-up show featuring 12 local artists, showing and sellling their work, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.! Give the gift of art, and enjoy shopping and sipping wine, while supporting a great cause, the Chester County Art Association’s New Building Fund! Artists include Carol Apicella (mosaics), Arden Bardol (jewelry), Meghan Bergman (ceramics) and Sara Bleemer (photography).
The WCPL’s annual Holiday Home Tour is right around the corner! The date of the event this year is Saturday, December 7, 2013, 10:00am – 3:00pm. The tour features ten beautiful homes plus one special stop in the southern section of the borough.
Tickets are on sale now, you can purchase them online by clicking here, or at the library and at Chester County Book Company. Advance sale ticket prices are $30 per-person; day of price is $40. All proceeds benefit the West Chester Public Library’s services and programs for the greater West Chester community. For more information the event visit, www.wcpubliclibrary.org.
The first comprehensive interpretation of nineteenth century Chester County clothing and the people who wore them is exhibited at Chester County Historical Society, beginning this Friday, November 22, 2013 and lasting through August 30, 2014. Entitled Profiles: Chester County Clothing of the 1800s, it examines the century long evolution of clothing profiles including Empire-style gowns, children’s Turkey red print dresses, elaborate men’s vests, and highly detailed dresses of the Victorian era. Supported by a grant from the Coby Foundation. The opening reception benefits CCHS. For more information on the exhibit visit www.chestercohistorical.org.
We are just 2 weeks away from the annual Taste of Chester County event, a benefit for Safe Harbor of Chester County! The annual event allows participants to sample the delicious tastes from West Chester’s most popular restaurants, including Limoncello West Chester (pictured here). The event will take place on Thursday November 7, 2013 from 6:30 – 9:00pm. Tickets starts at $40 per person. Get your tickets soon, as this event sells out every year! Visit www.safeharborofgwc.org for more information and to purchase your tickets.
Sponsors and Vendors Include:
- Amani’s BYOB
- Arianna’s Gourmet Café
- Yori’s Bakery
- Doc Magrogans
- Iron Hill Brewery
- Full Spirited Flavours
- Galer Estate Winery
- Jazmine Thai
- Limoncello Ristorante
- Mas Mexicali Cantina
- Penns Woods Winery
- Ram’s Head Bar & Grill
- Sidebar & Restaurant
- Cakes & Candies
- Teca Restaurant by Maryellen
- Once Village Coffee
- Milestone Events
- Fig West Chester
- The Photography Center
This Sunday, October 20, Domestic Violence Center of Chester County will be hosting the Freedom Fashion Show at Mas Mexicali Cantina. While dining on a delicious lunch, you’ll be able to see fall looks from local boutiques including Green Street Consignment, Jane Chalfant & Kiki Boutique, Tish Boutique, and more. Fig event bloggers Jessica Conjar and Kelly Margera of gold+arrow will be providing stage styling. Enjoy shopping, networking, prizes, and more all for a great cause! Cost is just $20. For more information or to purchase tickets click here.