If you haven’t been to a West Chester’s “Story Slam,” you might assume that it’s rife with the kind get-down-and-dirty, bare-all happenings found in many small-time comedy clubs – a kind of mud wrestling for the literary set. Tonight’s Story Slam, which is the final one before the best of the lot compete for the “Grand Slam” in November, is likely to have one shocking story among the evening’s line-up. That goes with the territory. Still, the point of Story Slam is not necessarily standing before an audience and baring one’s soul. It’s the act of creating, often on the spot, a cohesive narrative that the audience may (or may not) deem great story-telling.
The West Chester Story Slam
• Where: Ryan’s Pub. 124 W. Gay St. West Chester, PA 19380
• Date: Tonight, October 11, 2011
• Time: Begins at 8 p.m. Come early for the best seats.
Features: Open to all people – both spectators and story-tellers. All stories have a time limit and must follow this month’s theme: celebrity sightings. As the web site describes it, “come on out and tell your story about a brush with greatness.” Tonight’s Slam is also the last chance to see who will go onto the final November Grand Slam.
- Pencil This In: The MOTH Storytelling, ‘Brand X’ at the Hammer (laist.com)
- Bluebell Books Short Story Slam: The Wheat Field (ocdbloggergirl.wordpress.com)
- New to West Chester? (mywestchesterpatown.com)